The Fast and the Furious
Live life 1/4 mile at a time.
The Fast and the Furious (later also recognised as Fast & Furious 1) is a 2001 action movie directed by Rob Cohen from a screenplay by Gary Scott Thompson, Erik Bergquist, and David Ayer, with the story attributed to Thompson. It is the initial instalment in the Fast & Furious franchise and stars Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Chad Lindberg, Rick Yune, Johnny Strong, and Ted Levine. In the film, Brian O’Conner, an undercover cop, is tasked with identifying the names of a group of automobile hijackers led by Dominic Toretto.
After Cohen was exposed to street racing in May 1998, preparations for The Fast and the Furious started. Walker and Diesel were cast in 1999, and Diesel helped with script revisions with Ayer. The film is also notable for including street racers. Principal photography began in July 2000 with a release date of March 2001. It continued until October 2001. Filming locations included Los Angeles and Southern California.
Universal Pictures released The Fast and Furious theatrically in the United States, June 22, 2001. Universal Pictures released The Fast and Furious in the United States on June 22, 2001. It received mixed reviews. Many critics praised Walker and Diesel’s performances but were critical of the film’s storyline and ending. The film launched a series with its sequel 2 Fast 2 Furious(2003). This led to a thriving industry of tie-in products, including merchandise, toys, clothing, and amusement park attractions. The Fast and the Furious was reissued in a limited release in June 2016 to commemorate its fifteenth anniversary.
Paul Walker (left) in 2009, Vin Diesel in 2013, and Michelle Rodriguez in 2018
Additional information: A list of fast and furious characters
- Paul Walker portrays Brian O’Conner, an LAPD officer who is sent to infiltrate the crew of hijackers. Mia’s love interest.
- Vin Diesel plays Dominic Toretto, the leader of the heist team and professional street racer. After a violent retaliatory attack against the man who had accidentally killed Dominic’s father, he was banned from professional racing.
- Michelle Rodriguez plays Letty Ortiz.
- Dominic’s crew member and his girlfriend.
- Jordana Brewster as Mia Toretto:
- Dominic’s sister and the owner of the Toretto general shop. Brian’s love interest.
- Rick Yune is Johnny Tran
- Dominic is a Vietnamese gang leader who is also a rival.
- Chad Lindberg is Jesse
- Dominic’s crew member. He is extremely intelligent in math, algebra, as well as computing. However, he has attention deficit disorder.
- Johnny Strong is Leon:
- Dominic’s crew member
- Vince is Matt Schulze
- Dominic’s crew member and childhood friend. He has an unrequited affection for Mia.
Ted Levine and Thom Barry, who were part of the team that organised the undercover investigation to find Brian, complete the central cast. Noel Gugliemi plays Hector, who is the organiser of drag racing. Ja Rule, a rapper and car tuner R.J. de Vera, play Edwin and Danny, respectively, drag racers who race against Dominic or Brian. Vyto Ruginis portrays Harry, the informant and owner of The Racer’s Edge. Reggie Lee plays Lance Nguyen as Tran’s right-hand man and cousin. Rob Cohen and Neal H. Moritz both make cameo appearances. Moritz plays the unnamed driver of a black Ferrari F355 convertible, while Cohen is a pizza delivery man.
User Review( votes)